I live and maintain a studio in McClellanville, South Carolina. I am a relief printmaker, book artist and photographer.
Director/Professor Emeritus, Ernest G. Welch School of Art and Design, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA, 2003.
• Land of Deepest Shade: Photographs of the South by John McWilliams, with introduction by Theodore Rosengarten, published by Aperture in 1989
• A Season of Giants, Little, Brown and Co., featured photographer John McWilliams
• Places with a Past: Site-Specific Art in Charleston, Rizzoli, New York 1992, Photography John McWilliams
• Visible Light, Four Creative Biographies by Michael Lesy, Times Books, 1985, one of the biographies
• 1975 National Endowment to the Arts, Photography Fellowship
• 1977 Guggenheim Fellowship
• 1995 Georgia Council for the Arts, Artist Grants
• Jacksonville Art Museum
• Delaware Art Museum
• Sheldon Art Gallery, Univ. Of Nebraska
• Museum of Modern Art, New York
• Fogg Museum, Harvard Univ.
• Addison Gallery of American Art
• National Museum of American Art, Smithsonian
• New Orleans Museum of Art
• Massachusetts Institute of Technology